Accidents in public places

Personal Injuries Claims

You may have suffered personal injuries as result of an accident in a public place. Accidents in a public place include all privately and publicly owned places such as parks, shops, shopping centers, restaurants, pubs, bus stations, airports, footpaths and all other areas where the public is expected or invited to visit.

The vast number of accidents in a public place occur mainly on footpaths and wet floors. If you or a member of your family has suffered a personal injury due to an accident in a public place, you may be entitled to compensation for injury and loss* once liability can be proven.

If you have injured yourself as a result of a slip, trip or fall in a public area which is owned by a local authority it may be possible to bring a claim against them. It is the duty of the local authority or building owner to provide a safe environment for the users of the public place, This is known as Public Liability.

If you, or a member of your family have been injured in an accident in a public place it is important to keep a record of the event. You should take photographs and if possible obtain the details of witnesses to the accident.

Take note if there is CCTV in the area. You can read more about CCTV records here.

It may often be the case that it will be alleged that you contributed towards the accident, that is to say you were contributory negligent. You can read more about contributory negligence here.

Mulroy and Company Solicitors Galway specialise in personal injury claims and we are in a position to advise you if amount offered is fair for the loss and injury suffered.

Our advice is simple – Never settle a claim without obtaining legal advice.

Often, after an accident occurs, the injured party is discouraged from seeking the assistance of a lawyer or is put under pressure from an insurance company to accept a settlement. However, is is vital that before accepting any settlement from an insurance company that you obtain advice from a personal injury law firm. The insurance company is most likely making an offer to settle the case now as it fears it may have to make a higher offer in the future.

It is vital to remember that insurance companies employ a wide range of experts from claims managers, motor vehicle assessors, actuaries and medical advisors to represent them.

The following may be of assistance to you if you have suffered an injury or loss:

What should I do if I have had an accident?

I have had an accident. Do I have a case?

How long do I have to make a claim?

Frequently asked questions about Personal Injury Claims

I had an accidents in a public places. What do I do?

My child had an accident. What should I do?

If my claim for personal injuries was successful what would I be entitled to receive?

What is contributory negligence?

The use of CCTV footage

What is the meaning of ‘no foal, no fee’/ “no win, no fee”?

What are the legal Charges involved in making a claim?

Personal Injuries Assessment Board Act 2003 

Mulroy and Company Personal Injury Solicitors Galway are here to help. Please do not hesitate to telephone us at 091 – 586760 or email us to discuss your claim.

Enquiry Form

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.